Tax Rebates & Refunds

Claiming a tax rebate if you have been on an emergency tax code

April 16, 2010
Posted in Income Tax — Written by The Tax Repayment Agency

If you have been put on an emergency tax code at any time in the last six years then you are likely to be due a tax rebate from HM Revenue & Customs (formerly the Inland Revenue).

An emergency tax code is used when your employer or pensions provider doesn’t know what code to put you on and HMRC doesn’t have enough information to put you on the right code.

Emergency tax rates are generally higher than normal tax rates because you will not be receiving your annual tax free allowance and you will be paying tax at the basic rate of 20%.

How do I know if I’m on an emergency tax code?

Looking at your payslip will tell you if you are on an emergency tax code. If your tax code contains BR, X, WK1 or MTH1 then you are paying emergency tax and you need to get your tax code changed to what it should be. This also means you are highly likely to be due a tax refund.

Why would I be on an emergency tax code?

There are several reasons you could be put on an emergency tax code, including:

  • You’ve started a new job and not supplied a P45 to your new employer from your last job.
  • You’ve started your first job and haven’t received any taxable benefits or pension income.
  • You’ve started a new job after being self employed.
  • There’s been a change to your tax code due to receiving company benefits, a state pension or other change.

How do I get the correct tax code and claim a refund?

You can claim a refund going back as far as six years if you have been on emergency tax. To do so, download a claim pack or contact us and we will send one out to you. If you use The Tax Repayment Agency to claim your refund, we will also ensure that you are put on the correct tax code.

3 Comments (Leave comment »)
  1. My tax code has been BR for 2 years.
    Am I paying emergency tax?
    How do I claim a tax rebate?

    Comment by kieth — April 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm

  2. Hi Keith.

    Yes, you’ve been paying emergency tax and are definitely due a tax refund.

    The simplest way to claim your rebate (and get onto the right tax code so you stop paying emergency tax) is to click the “Download Your Tax Rebate CLaim Forms” link on the right hand side of this page near the top, download the Income Tax claim form, fill it in and send it to us.

    We’ll do all the work for you and you should receive your rebate in 4-8 weeks time. Your code will automatically change to the correct one through doing this as well.

    Please read the pack carefully and supply all the requested information. This will speed things up considerably.

    We look forweard to hearing from you.

    Comment by admin — April 30, 2010 at 7:16 am

  3. great post as usual!

    Comment by MarkSpizer — May 3, 2010 at 11:09 am

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment