Tax Rebates & Refunds

How to claim for a tax refund without a P45 or P60

July 18, 2010
Posted in Income Tax — Written by Geoffrey

Every year thousands of individuals fail to claim for tax rebates as they either lose their tax documents or do not have their P45/P60. Many individuals just give up on the prospect of claiming a tax refund. As a result of this, millions of pounds go unclaimed every year.

What is a P45?

The P45 is a tax document provided to you by your employer. This document has a complete breakdown of the income you earn and the taxes you pay. If you are changing your job, you need to provide the P45 of a previous employer to your new employer. However, if you fail to provide the P45 to your new employer, they may put you on an emergency tax code. Thus, you will end up paying excess taxes.

What is a P60?

This is a document that your employer will provide to you at the end of every tax year. Similar to a P45, the P60 also shows how much you have earned during the tax year and how much tax you have paid.

What should you do if you do not have a P45?

Whenever you leave a job, your employer is required to provide you with a P45. In case you leave your job unexpectedly, your employer will forward your P45 to your last known mailing address.

On the other hand, if you have somehow lost your P45, you need to get a ‘statement of earnings’ from your employer. A statement of earnings is an adequate replacement for a P60 or P45, which can be used to claim tax back from the Inland Revenue.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment