Tax Rebates & Refunds

Put on the wrong tax code? You can still claim your tax back

July 24, 2010
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Geoffrey

If you have been working in the UK and paying your tax regularly, you might be entitled to a tax refund. The amount of tax refund you get will depend on your earnings and the tax you have paid during the tax year.

When you leave a company, your employer will provide you with a P45. Your P45 is an important document as it has all the details about your earnings and the taxes you have paid up to that point. By entering these values in a tax rebate calculator, you can determine the amount of tax refund you are eligible to get.

How can you get a tax refund?

There are numerous ways you may be eligible for a tax refund. If you qualify for any of the following points, you may be eligible:

Working period

If you have worked as an employee during a tax year from 6th April to 5th April, you become eligible for a tax rebate if you have overpaid tax.

Emergency tax coding
When you take up a new employment, your employer is unaware of which tax code to put you on. In such a case, your employer will put you on an emergency tax code.

If you have been taxed under an incorrect PAYE code or on the emergency tax code you can apply for a tax rebate.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment