Tax Rebates & Refunds

Some important facts about your P45

July 20, 2010
Posted in Income Tax — Written by Jennifer

A P45 is a tax document offered to you by your employer after you have left a job. The P45 provided to you by your employer contains all the details about your wages and the tax that you pay. If you receive expenses or benefits, your employer will be sending a P11D to the HMRC (HM Revenue & Customs).

The P45 contains the following things:

• The tax code you are on
• Your PAYE reference number
• The date you stopped working with your previous employer
• Your national insurance number
• The amount of tax you paid during the tax year
• Your income during the tax year

While a P45 usually has four parts, you may only be able to see three parts. This is because your employer will retain and send the first part of your P45 to the Inland Revenue. If you are starting a new job, you will have to provide Part 2 and Part 3 to your new employer. If you fail to give these documents to your new employer, you may be put on an emergency tax code.

What if you have lost your P45?

By law, your employer is required to provide you with a P45. If you have lost your P45, you can ask your last employer to provide you with a statement of earnings. This is an adequate replacement document for claiming a tax refund. The P45 or the statement of earnings has all details about your earnings and the tax you have paid during the tax year. By entering these details in the tax refund calculator, you will find out the amount of tax you are eligible to reclaim.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment