Tax Rebates & Refunds

Have you paid extra tax? Apply for a tax rebate

August 20, 2010
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Geoffrey

There are many times when a person may have paid extra tax. The reasons for paying extra can be many; however these people also stand a chance of getting a tax refund. If you have established that you have overpaid then apply for a tax rebate as soon as possible. To apply for tax back, you have to be ready with all documents such as:

• P45 – Information about employee who has left
• P91 – Employment history
• P60 – Yearly tax statement

If you have lost any of the above mentioned documents then it is possible to get a replacement for it. For instance, if you are unable to find your P60 then you can apply for a ‘statement of earnings’ from your employer. When receiving the statement, make sure that the information is printed on company headed paper.

Like a P60, the statement of earnings has information about your income and tax. According to law, the employer has to provide the statement for any of the past six tax years if you request it. This means that you can also apply for tax rebates for the last six years.

Where to apply for tax rebates

If you have completed the application form and attached all the required documents then you have to send it with a cover letter detailing information related to your income and tax. Once everything is ready then you have to send the application form to the local tax office.

You can search online or check the HMRC site to get the address of the local office. To know how much refund you will get, you can also use an online tax calculator.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment