Tax Rebates & Refunds

Finding the right tax code and claiming tax refunds

September 3, 2010
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Geoffrey

Many people are confused about the amount of tax they are required to pay. Some also end up paying more than is necessary and aren’t aware of tax refunds.

Many people ask these common questions when filing tax returns

Q.1 Am I paying the right amount of tax?
Q.2 What is the correct tax code for me?
Q.3 Am I currently on the right tax code?
Q.4 How can I move myself onto the right tax code?

If you have been assigned a wrong tax code, you can follow the guidelines below and take the necessary corrective measures.

Contact the tax office

The first thing you need to do is contact your local tax office who will take the appropriate steps to correct it. To locate your tax office, you can log on to the HMRC website which has listings of all tax offices in your area. Once you are on the website, you need to refer to your payslip and look at your PAYE coding notice, if you have one. This notice will tell you what your tax code is.

PAYE coding notice

You can get your PAYE coding notice from your employer, who could receive it via email for a faster service. Your tax office will need your National Insurance number and your tax reference.

P45 form

When you join a new job, you need to give your new employee the P45 form from your last job. This form states your previous earnings, your tax code and how much tax you have paid.

Tax refunds

When claiming tax refunds, you need to submit all of the required information and documents to your tax office. The tax office will then take a few weeks to issue your refund. If you become unemployed for some reason, you can still claim for tax refunds.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment