Tax Rebates & Refunds

Have you paid too much tax?

October 8, 2010
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Chris

Every year many individuals pay too much tax to the government. If you pay regular income tax then there is a chance that you might have overpaid this year. Here is a list of reasons why an individual could have paid too much income tax:

• They are on the wrong tax code
• Did not receive their P45 or P60 on time
• Leaving the country
• Retired from work
• Working part time

If you think that you have been charged more tax than you should then you can easily calculate it by looking at your wage slips or P60. The P60 will help you to work out how much you have earned and how much tax you have paid in a particular year. You can enter these figures into an online tax rebate calculator to find out how much tax you can claim back.

How can you claim a tax rebate?

If you want to claim tax back then you have to attach several forms along with your application. These may include the P60, P45, P91 (employment history form), P85 (Entering UK form) and P86 (Leaving the UK form). If you have lost any of the above mentioned forms then you will have attach a replacement. For instance, if you have misplaced your P60 then you can ask your employer to provide a ‘statement of earnings’ on company headed paper.

Once you have all the forms you need you can apply for a rebate including a covering letter to your local tax office. The tax office should refund any money within 4-8 weeks.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment