Tax Rebates & Refunds

Tax rebates – three steps to claim your tax back

October 25, 2010
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Geoffrey

If you are an employee in the UK then you are most likely paying income tax through the pay as you earn (PAYE) system. It is a seventy-year old system which was planned to ensure that you pay an appropriate amount of tax to the government. There are times when you are charged more income tax by HMRC. If you think that you have overpaid tax then claim for a rebate as soon as possible. Here are steps towards claiming your tax refund:

Check how much tax you have overpaid

If you have been charged or paid extra tax for some reason then calculate the amount. Firstly, you have to check your P60 which contains information related to your income and tax paid. Enter these details in an online tax refund calculator which will show you the figures. Mention the year in the calculator to get appropriate results.

Collect your documents

If you have decided to claim for a tax rebate then you have to fill in the application form and attach other documents along with it. You may have to attach a P60, P45, P85, P86 or P91. Ensure that you are submitting original documents with the application form. If you have misplaced or lost any of your documents then you can also attach a replacement.

Mail the application form

Once you have attached all the documents with the application form then send them with a cover letter. The cover letter must have information related to your income and tax paid. Mail it to the local tax office at the end of the tax year. You should receive the tax rebate within 4-6 weeks.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment