Tax Rebates & Refunds

Planning to leave UK and begin applying for a tax rebate?

November 22, 2010
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Chris

If you have paid tax and are now leaving the country then it might be possible for you to claim for a tax rebate. Today, many people are leaving the UK for education or business purposes. If you are planning to apply for a tax refund then read the following questions which are commonly asked.

When can you claim for tax rebates?

Generally, people apply for tax rebates at the end of the tax year. If you want to claim before you leave the country then you can apply for tax rebates at any time of the year. For instance, if you are leaving this month then inform the Inland Revenue and HMRC immediately.

Are you eligible for tax rebates?

All individuals are given a tax free allowance for the whole year. If you are leaving the country in the middle of the year then you are eligible to get some part of your income tax back. If you have earned below the tax free allowance then you can make a claim too.

How do you claim for a tax refund?

If you have decided to claim for a tax rebate then you have to inform the Inland Revenue that you are leaving the country. You have to fill details in the P85 and P86 forms. Once these forms are completed then you also have to attach the P45 and P60 with the application and cover letter. This is because these forms contain information related to your income and tax paid.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment