Tax Rebates & Refunds

Tax rebates – Four commonly asked questions

November 26, 2010
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Chris

Today, many taxpayers across the country are applying for a tax rebate because they have overpaid income tax. An overpayment of tax can take place due for various reasons such as being on the emergency tax code, wrong tax code, income less than the tax free allowance or leaving the country. If you want to know whether you have paid too much tax then you should use an online tax rebate calculator.

When can you claim a tax rebate?

It is a general rule that an individual can only claim for tax rebates after the end of tax year. In some cases, the individual can also apply at any time of the tax year. For instance, if you are leaving the country permanently then you can mail your application to the local tax office at anytime of the year.

Can you claim for the last few financial years?

Yes, you can claim tax rebates for the last six tax years. If you have calculated how much you have overpaid you can claim for all the previous six years.

What do you need when making a claim?

If you are applying for a tax rebates then you have to submit your original P45 and/or P60 along with the application form. You have to attach these documents with the application form and send them to the local tax office at the end of the tax year. If you have lost them you can submit official replacement forms.

When will you receive your money?

Once you have submitted all your documents to the tax office you should get the money within 2 to 4 weeks. This time period may be extended if you have submitted improper documents or if you submit them at times of high demand.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment