Tax Rebates & Refunds

Leaving the UK? You may be eligible to claim tax back

December 24, 2010
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Chris

When it comes to tax rebates, many people wonder whether they are due one or not. There are many reasons why you might be. If you had more than one job during a financial year or if you were put on an emergency tax code, you may be eligible for a tax refund from HMRC.

If you are planning to leave the UK, you may be entitled to a tax rebate. All this depends on the amount of taxes you paid, your earnings, the date when you are leaving and most importantly whether you will be leaving the UK temporarily or permanently.

Your eligibility for a tax rebate will depend on whether or not you will be a non-resident or resident after leaving the UK. In order to become a non-resident, you must prove that you are leaving the UK for good.

While sometimes you may be unsure whether you will be leaving the UK temporarily or permanently, you can still specify the period of time you intend to stay away from the UK. In such a case, you will need to notify the tax office.

On the other hand, if you have decided that you will no longer be a UK resident, you can fill in a P85 form that will help you to determine whether or not, you are eligible to claim tax back. The amount of tax you can claim back will depend on your earnings and the amount of tax you paid.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment