Tax Rebates & Refunds

Tax rebates – Student tax breaks

December 15, 2010
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Geoffrey

Students from different parts of the world come to the UK for better career prospects. If you are a student who is also doing a part time job in the UK, then you should be aware of tax rebates. Tax rebates are the excess money you may have paid in taxes that you can claim back from the government. There are various reasons why you may be entitled to a tax rebate. One of them is mentioned below.

If you got a job during the tax year

You could be entitled to a tax rebate if you started work mid way through the tax year and not take advantage of your total tax free allowance. Most of the people in the UK earn on a monthly basis via the PAYE system.
According to the pay as you earn system, this tax free allowance is equally divided into twelve parts. If you have joined your work three months before the tax year ends, you will have to pay tax for those three months. It will be assumed that you had received tax relief for the first nine months which you may not have received. If your total earnings for the year are less than the tax-free allowance, then you will receive a rebate for any tax you have paid.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment