Tax Rebates & Refunds

Want to claim a tax refund? Here are the steps to follow

December 12, 2010
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Chris

Today, many working people in the UK are applying for tax rebates because they have been charged extra tax. The reasons for this include being put on an emergency tax code, part time employment, working as a student or have earned less than tax free allowance. If you have paid more tax to the government than you should have you can apply for tax refund at the end of tax year.

You can either consult a tax advisor or apply for a tax rebate yourself. Here are the steps to follow to apply for a tax rebate:

Collect all required forms/documents

First of all, you have to have all the tax related documents to hand. Then make sure that you have submitted the original documents such as your P60, P45, P85 or P91 to the tax office. You also have to submit income tax receipts with the application form.

Fill in the application form properly

Once you have all the forms and documents to hand you can fill in the application form. Ensure that you fill in the form properly and enter all the correct details. This is very important because incorrect details can delay the whole tax refund process.

Send a covering letter with the documents

After filling in the application form and having attached the required documents, you have to send them off with a covering letter.

Mail the application

Mail the application to the HMRC or local tax office. You can get the address details of your local tax office from the Inland Revenue website.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment