Tax Rebates & Refunds

Things to do to get a tax refund

January 15, 2011
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Geoffrey

Most of us seldom pay more tax than is required, but if for some reason we do, this extra amount can be reclaimed by filling in a tax refund form at the end of the financial year. The tax department could make a mistake while calculating your taxes or it could be that they are not informed of deductions to your tax bill. In such situations, it is crucial to know the procedure to get your hard earned money back.

There are different tax refund forms for the various types of taxes. One can find the correct information at a tax office. Alternatively, one can visit the website for HM Revenue and Customs. Once on the website, find the purple ‘individuals’ menu near the top of the page. Click on ‘more topics’ which can be found in the list underneath. On the new page, under the heading ‘I want to…’ click on ‘claim a tax refund’ then click on the tax for which you want to file a claim.

Once on the next page, read the details to make sure you are on the right page. Then click on the button that says ‘contact the tax office’. Type in your postcode and click search to find your tax office. Contact the tax office at the number provided and after discussing the matter, the advisor will dispatch a reclamation form to you. Send back the completed form and wait for your tax refund.

The form itself can be a bit overwhelming and you may need to take professional assistance to help you complete it.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment