Tax Rebates & Refunds

Tax refunds – How to go about claiming your refund

March 25, 2011
Posted in Income Tax — Written by Jennifer

There are times when you end up paying more tax than you should without realising it. This is a possibility if you have changed job have more than one job.

Here is how you can apply for a tax refund.

Who is eligible for a tax refund?

You are eligible for a tax refund if you are doing more than one job at the same time and also if you are a student who worked only in the holiday season and did not fill in form P38S for student employees. People who stopped working and did not get any taxable income or benefits for the year ahead can also get a tax refund.

Reclaiming your PAYE overpayments

If you are employed, you need to speak to the tax office and tell them why you think you have paid too much tax. If they do not already have the necessary documents to verify your claim, they will ask you for the required documents. If you get a new tax code, the refund will be given to you with your wages, otherwise you may get a cheque for the overpaid amount.

You can fill a claim for a tax refund if you have retired or have not been working for more than four weeks. If you have stopped working, then you need to fill form P50 alongside form P45 and send them to your tax office. Send only Part two and three of form P45 and keep the 1A part for your records.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment