Tax Rebates & Refunds

Am I entitled to a tax rebate if I am unemployed?

June 16, 2011
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Chris

Being unemployed can allow you to claim back your income tax. If you were employed and laid off from work during the tax year, for whatever reason, you have the right to claim your refund.

HMRC taxes you at the start of the year for the entire year, assuming of course that you will be working for this period.

Use a tax calculator

Most jobs hand you a P45 after you leave them. You can use a tax calculator to calculate whether you are due a refund. There are a lot of free calculators available on the net. All that is needed is a bit of research.

Keep in mind that if you are looking for Jobseeker’s Allowance, this will be rated against your basic tax exempted allowance plus any other income earned in the same year.

Also, being unemployed for more than a year, can give you a tax rebate. You can claim a tax rebate for up to six years. It is possible that you may have overpaid your tax during that time. After all money saved is money earned. Your claim may take up to eight weeks to process, depending upon the backlog of claims pending in the tax office.

There are a number of specialist companies which provide all kinds of tax rebate services.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment