Tax Rebates & Refunds

How to claim a tax rebate for someone who has died

July 26, 2011
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Chris

If you have to claim a tax refund on behalf of someone who has passed away, then there is some documentation that needs to be done. In case a person has died, the HM Revenue and Customs has to be informed about it. They will then send form R27, which is ‘Potential repayment to the estate’, to the person’s representative. More often than not, the personal representative is the deceased person’s spouse or civil partner. In some cases it is the executor appointed by the will of the deceased person.

How does the process work?

The form R27 needs to be filled in properly for the HRMC. This will help them work out the minorities and check if the person was due for a tax rebate. Another important thing to keep in mind is that the personal representative should fill in the form by themselves if they do not want too many complications during the process. Ideally, it is better to wait for a minimum of four weeks after sending the form to the HRMC before you contact them about the tax rebate.

See the other details as well

If the deceased person has been using form R40 for claiming a tax rebate on a regular basis then it is good news for the personal representative. This will help you get the tax rebate for the due period until the time the person died.

You may need to have certain documents along with these forms if you want to claim a tax rebate for a person who has died, like their pension statement, dividend vouchers and interest statements from building societies and banks. In case you feel you have missed out anything, you should seek professional help.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment