Tax Rebates & Refunds

Organise a tax rebate when a change of job sees you pay emergency tax

September 1, 2011
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Chris

Getting a new job is an exciting time but it is also a time when you have to be particularly wary about activity in your bank account. Starting a new job is a notorious time for things to go wrong with your pay and this is the last thing you want to happen, especially if you are relying on the next instalment of your salary.

It is sometimes the case that a new employer is unaware of your proper tax code. When this happens, you are assigned an emergency tax code instead of the tax code you are probably supposed to be on. In this event you’ll end up paying more tax than you are supposed to. It is best to avoid this circumstance by ensuring your new employers have the right tax code before you start because a full basic rate of tax amounts to a sky high 22%.

However, if you are already in this position then it is possible for you to claim tax back to recover the money you have lost to emergency tax. Even if you just suspect that emergency tax has left you out of pocket it is worth delving a little deeper because you may be rewarded with a healthy tax rebate.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment