Tax Rebates & Refunds

Student tax: get overpayments back for a period of intense employment activity (Part 2)

May 19, 2012
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Jennifer

The last article introduced the strange relationship that exists between students’ earnings in the summer and tax. Tax is automatically going to apply when you earn enough money to make the HMRC think that you will finish the year with earnings that exceed the free allowance threshold. When you return to university and start earning less, your tax code will revert to normal and no tax will be taken.

However, come the end of the year it may well be the case that the short burst of activity in the summer did not earn you enough to push you over the threshold. In this case, the tax you paid on your earnings in the summer should not really have applied and you should look to getting it back via a tax rebate.

This is a process that may well be set in motion by the HMRC but it may take a long time. Otherwise it might be overlooked. You should contact a team of tax specialists at a recognised claims agency if you want to get the tax you paid in summer back quickly so you can use it.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment