Tax Rebates & Refunds

In what circumstances can you claim tax back?

September 9, 2012
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Geoffrey

There are many different circumstances in which you may have paid too much tax and have to claim a tax refund. If you have experienced any of the following, make sure you apply for a tax rebate.

You may be able to claim tax back if:

• You are a student who only worked part-time or for part of the year (i.e. in the summer holidays)
• You were put on an emergency code whilst HMRC worked out your permanent tax code, or by mistake
• You are on the wrong tax code, one which doesn’t match your circumstances
• You stopped working or became unemployed part-way through the year
• You retired part-way through the year
• You are leaving the country to live abroad
• You are an overseas worker
• You are self-employed and think you made a mistake on your self-assessment tax return
• You have to buy tools and equipment for your job and haven’t been fully reimbursed
• You are required to wear a uniform to work and you have to wash it yourself – if your employer doesn’t help with the cost of washing your work uniform, you could be eligible for tax refunds

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment