Tax Rebates & Refunds

Basildon man wins council tax rebate

October 3, 2012
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Jennifer

A man from Basildon is expecting to receive a tax rebate on his council tax of over £2,000 after it emerged that he and his wife had been overpaying for more than 20 years.

Bob Solway and his wife Jeanette challenged the council tax band their property was designated as being in back in April of this year. He found out that other identical properties in his street were in the B category, whilst his was still a C.

Initially, the council told Mr Solway that nothing could be done to change his council tax banding, but the couple continued to fight their case. Eventually, Basildon Council agreed to change the banding, and also agreed to send the couple a tax rebate of more than £2,000.

Whilst this case relates specifically to council tax, which is managed by local government rather than HMRC, it is possible for some people to be paying too much income tax and not realise it. It could even be possible that individuals have been overpaying for several years, either because HMRC has their details wrong or they are on the wrong tax code. It is always advisable to check that your tax is right, because you could potentially be owed a sizeable tax rebate.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment