Tax Rebates & Refunds

What expenses can I claim a tax rebate for if I’m employed?

October 29, 2012
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Jennifer

Some people believe that only self-employed workers can claim tax relief on expenses such as travel and work-related purchases. This isn’t strictly the case, because employed workers are entitled to claim tax rebates for expenses if they haven’t already been reimbursed by their employer.

Types of expenses you can claim

You can put in a tax rebate claim if you’re employed (either full-time, part-time or have a temporary or seasonal job) and you have to use your own money for:

• Travel expenses
• Buying and washing a uniform that you have to wear for work
• Trade magazine subscriptions
• Union fees
• Tools and equipment you need for work

It is very important to remember that you can only claim tax rebates for any of the listed expenses if your employer hasn’t paid you back. If your boss has reimbursed you for what you spent, you aren’t eligible for tax relief.

You must also make your tax rebate claim for expenses within a certain time period. You have five years from the end of the tax year in which you spent the money to put in a claim, or it won’t be considered and processed by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment