Tax Rebates & Refunds

How to claim tax back without a P60 or P45

September 29, 2010
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Chris

Every year, many people fail to claim tax back as they are not provided with a P60/P45 form from their employer. In some cases, many people lose their tax documents and are unable to claim tax back. As many people fail to claim for a tax refund, every year millions of pounds go unclaimed. If you reside and work in the UK and pay your taxes on a regular basis, you may be due a tax rebate.

What are the P60 and P45 forms?

A P60 and P45 is a tax document. The P45 is usually given by the employer after you end your employment with them. This document has the entire breakdown of your earnings and the taxes that you paid during a tax year.

If you are about to quit your existing job and start a new one, you must present a P45 to your new employer. It is important to provide your new employer with your P45. This will ensure that you are not put on an emergency tax code.

At the end of every tax year, your employer will give you a P60. Similar to a P45, the P60 shows your earnings during a tax year and the amount of tax you have paid.

How to claim a tax rebate if you lose these forms

If you have lost your P60 or P45, you can ask your employer to provide a statement of earnings. A statement of earnings is an adequate replacement document for a P60 or P45. If you are claiming for a tax rebate, opting for professional help is a good option to ensure that the procedure goes smoothly.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment