Tax Rebates & Refunds

Steps to follow for students applying for tax rebates

September 28, 2010
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Chris

Many people in the UK end up paying more tax than what they actually should. Some of them are not aware that they can claim for a tax rebate. However, you need to fulfil certain criteria if you wish to apply for a tax rebate in the UK.

If you are a student working in the UK, then you can claim for tax rebates. Your employer must not have considered the fact that your total earnings are below the tax allowance. If your employee has deducted taxes from your income, you can file a claim for a tax rebate. Below are a few steps that can help you with tax rebates.

How do you know if you have paid tax?

If any tax has been deducted from your income, it will be mentioned on your payslip. Find out your gross pay and if it is above the tax free allowance at the end of the year, you need to pay the tax. In most cases, it would not exceed the tax free allowance and thus you should file for a tax rebate.

Can I still file for a tax rebate when I’m finished with study?

Yes, even if you have completed your studies, you can file for a tax rebate if you worked while you were studying. You need to apply within a period of six years to be eligible for the tax rebate.

What is the procedure to file for a tax rebate?

You can either hire a tax rebate agent or do it yourself. If you are doing it by yourself, you need the following documents;

• P45/P60
• P85/P86- If you were an overseas student studying in the UK
• P91
• P38(S)
• Cover letter

After collecting these documents, submit them to your local tax office.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment