Tax Rebates & Refunds

Get your hard-earned cash back

December 27, 2010
Posted in Income Tax — Written by Geoffrey

If you regularly pay income tax there may be a chance that you may have paid too much. Today, many individuals are claiming tax rebates because they have been charged too much tax by the Inland Revenue. Here are some of the reasons why you may have paid extra:

1. Being on an emergency tax code
2. Rolled on the wrong tax code
3. Being in part-time employment
4. You are leaving the country
5. You have retired

If you have been charged excess income tax because of one of the above mentioned reasons then you can apply for a refund.

What documents will you require while claiming for a tax refund?

If you want to apply for a tax rebate then you need to make sure that you have all the documents which contain your tax information to hand. Your P60 is the most important document which needs to be attached with the application form. You will get this document from your employer at the end of the tax year. In addition to this, you may also have to be ready with your original P45, P85, P86 or P91.

How many years can you claim?

One of the best things about the tax refund procedure is that it allows you to claim tax back for the past six years. This means that if you think that you have been paying too much tax for the last couple of years then you can apply for a tax refund. You do however need to have the tax documents of the previous years to hand while applying. Once you have all the documents at the ready then you can mail them to your local tax office.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment