Tax Rebates & Refunds

Claiming a tax refund when you are employed

April 25, 2011
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Chris

When you are working in the UK, there are some instances wherein you might overpay on taxes. In such a case you can claim tax back from the HMRC. If you believe that you have paid too much tax, you can use a tax rebate calculator to find out the amount.

If you are claiming taxable employment, taxable Incapacity, Support Allowance or Jobseeker’s Allowance, there are some important things you must know. As these benefits are taxable, it can affect your refund claim.

Your P45 is an important tax document that needs to be submitted while claiming a tax refund. It has every detail about your earnings and the income tax you pay. Entering these values into a tax refund calculator, you can know how much tax you overpaid and how much can be claimed back.

If you receive Jobseeker’s Allowance, the HMRC will pay any refunds you are eligible to get after the financial year ends. In case you stop to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance prior to the end of the financial year, HMRC will refund your overpaid taxes after you stopped claiming.

On the other hand, if you receive Employment and Support Allowance or Incapacity Benefit, your refunds will be paid by the HRMC. This will only be after the end of financial year or after you stop making claims.

Before applying for tax refunds, ensure that you are aware of the procedure. In case there is some confusion, do not hesitate to call for professional help.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment