Tax Rebates & Refunds

Info on tax deductible expenses for employees and directors

March 16, 2013
Posted in Tax Rebates — Written by Geoffrey

If you work for a company or are a director of a firm, you could be entitled to reclaim certain expenses that are considered by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to be ‘tax deductible’.

Examples of these expenses include:

• Business travel costs
• Fuel and car costs as part of work-related journeys
• Subscriptions to professional industry publications
• Fees to be part of unions
• Specialist clothing
• Tools and equipment needed for work

If your employer has reimbursed you for any of these costs, you won’t be able to claim tax rebates. However, if you weren’t reimbursed, you may be able to ask for tax relief on work-related expenses.

Claiming your tax rebate

If you fill in a tax return, you can include your tax deductible expenses on that form. However, if you don’t normally fill in a tax return (i.e. you pay tax through the PAYE system), you can still claim tax refunds on work-related costs by filling in a P810 Tax Review or a P87 Tax relief for expenses of employment form, or simply by getting in touch with HMRC by phone or letter. Another option is to use a tax rebate specialist to make your claim for you, as this method can often be quicker and more convenient.

No Comments (Leave comment »)

No comments yet.

Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Leave a comment